Saturday, November 17, 2007

My busy week, tea houses- czech boys- and the fate of tongues...particularly mine

A long but overdue update. My week was so busy, that at the end of everyday all I wanted to do was hop into bed and allow sleep to wash over me. I could have written, but it would have been short, boring, and I would have been unsatisfied, so sorry, but you just had to wait. We will just go through the week, and I'll do it recap style...so here I go...

Monday- I go to try out french lessons, you know, try and keep up my french while I'm here. haha, right. So I go and the class is taught in czech, and we all know how great my czech is....and I can understand the french, and read it, but whenever I went to speak in french, all that came out was czech. I sat there searching for the words I wanted to say, but I could only think of them in czech...it was very problematic. However, at one point we listened to a french song and had to fill in the missing words, and then they translated it into czech- and I sat back and it was very interesting because there were points where I understood what was being said in czech and in french. Or there would be times where I knew what it was in french but not in czech, and times when I knew the meaning in czech and not french. So overall the class was a bust, because there is no way I can take it and learn- but I'm glad I tried it, it was a good experience.

Tuesday- I went to the gym with my friend which was good, I'd really missed working out. Although it was strange to me because all the machines and such are in english. The treadmill for example, all of the buttons and such are in english, so for the most part no one knows what they say- when I asked my friend how she knows what to do, she said she just hits buttons until it starts working- this I found very funny.

Wednesday- I went to these art classes with my friends, which were held in this really neat old and rustic building- and I'm not much the artistic type- I'm artistic through writing. But there is some sort of peace that comes about from sketching, you just put all your focus towards that and relax. So it doesn't matter that my drawings arn't anything especial, I like the feeling that comes from creating them, for me that is enough. So from now on I'll go weekly to Art Class.

I also signed up for ballroom dancing classes...class starts December 4th at 7 p.m.


Thursday- Okay so I had this thing on my leg and initially I thought it was a bug bite, but then Thursday it started really hurting, like even walking was painful. So my intention was to get home and tell my host parents, yet I get home only to find a note from them telling me they'd gone off to Hungary and wouldn't be back until Saturday afternoon. Ummm WHAT??? I was in pain...I couldn't wait until Saturday. So I showed my host sister and she said she would take me the next day to have it checked out.

Thursday night I went to a concert with my friends, which was a lot of fun, and my leg was killing me, but it didn't matter, I still managed to have fun. My friends however were really concerned about my leg and my one friend told me, " If Martina doesn't take you to the doctor tomorrow, you need to tell us and we will take you."
I was entirely thrown by that statement... and the fact that they had that much care and concern for me.

Friday- morning comes and my host sister tells me she thinks we will just wait until her parents get home( I think she just had plans and didn't want to cancel them....so to to hell with my leg) so I was like fine, whatever.
So I go to school, and my friends are really worried about my leg, and I had a skirt on, because by this point I could no longer wear pants as they rubbed up against it and caused me more pain.
So i go to the bathroom and Lucy follows and asks if she can see my leg, so I show her and she is like wait here a minute, so I wait. And not but a few moments later all of my friends are circled around me in the bathroom inspecting my leg. They came to the conclusion that I couldn't wait until Saturday, that I needed to go to the hospital NOW.
So we go to the head lady, and they tell her my issue, we show her my leg, and she agrees I need to go to the doctor. So my friends go back to class, gather their things, and he head to the doctors.
We get to the doctors and my friends explain what the issue is, and I show the doctor. and he tells me to "show off my boots"( which meant to take them off) and also to take off my roc( to take of my skirt- in german) and I laid on my stomach on the hospital bed so he could have access to my leg. And from my left eye I can see the nurse preparing a shot of something, and I was like okay whatever, if it will stop the pain. But I didn't get just one shot, Oh NO, I was poked about seven times and it was very painful...poked and prodded and cut at...and I didn't know what he was doing or why he was doing it, I just hoped he knew what he was doing.
Anyways it turns out that I had an ULCER on my leg. WHAT THE HECK?? How ever do you get an ulcer? Anyways apparently the doctor knew what he was doing because it feels a lot better, but I have to go back Monday to have it checked on.

Then I go back to school, and Lucy tells me that if I need looking after I can stay at her house, that she already checked with her mom and that it was perfectly alright. I didn't take her up on her offer, she had already done enough- and I'm getting rather good at looking after myself, so I was alright. But the fact that she offered- that she was concerned; it meant a lot. I can already tell these friends are going to be really hard to leave- but we won't worry about that now.

So Friday night I could have gone out and done something, but I was really tired, I'd had a busy week, and I figured my leg could use some resting- so I just hung out at home. It was really really nice actually, some much needed r&r.

Saturday- I wake up and clean my room as the host parents had been gone so my room had become messy for the first time.
I then went to meet Julie and another exchange student that lives in another part of the Czech, but was here and is also from Washington and we went to lunch.
And then after she left Julie and I met up with Eleanor and went to a Cajovna( tea house) and then a little while late in walks my friend Hanka with two friends in tow, so they come over and join us and we all visit. And then after awhile Julie has to leave, and then Eleanor, and I stay. One of her friends, Honza (John) was very nice and we sat and visited and then we had to leave. Honza and I exchanged numbers and he asked me what I was doing next weekend...so we'll see. And then Hanka and her friends bus came before mine, and Honza needed to go to another bus stop to catch his bus- but he waited with me. And after awhile my bus was taking forever to come I told him he didn't need to wait, that it was okay. But he insisted that it was fine. Ha. In America the boy would have been like "Okay Bye!" and would have gone off to catch his bus. So....we'll see.

And then I'd decided that if I was really going to get my tongue pierced that I should probably ask my host parents incase they have a problem with it. So I got home went upstairs and figured out how to ask in czech, but I'd still used wrong words so I'd had to explain myself in english. To my surprise they were fine with it.
Which means that tomorrow, Monday, November 19, 2007 I'm supposed to have my tongue pierced. This thought is both very exciting and entirely unsettling...so we'll see if I'll actually go through with it...I'll let you know tomorrow.

So life is good even with my ulcer and all
perhaps I got the ulcer to show me what good of friends I have found here
who knows.

my only complaint is that time is flying- and I wish it would just slow down a bit.
But that's out of my control- so all I can do is enjoy the time and let it pass.
It's simply how this crazy thing we call life works.

So make something of your time- of your day- of your life
there's no getting it back.
This is it.

No comments: