Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Lack of Thanksgiving in the life of an ALL AMERICAN GIRL

Well before we get to Thanksgiving Thursday- let's touch on Monday, shall we?
I pierced my tongue Monday,
I really cannot believe that I was actually able to go through with it, especially since I watched my friend go first.
Don't worry I captured the event on video- although due to my rule about not showing pictures of myself while I'm here it will be awhile until it is available for your viewing pleasure.

Now...Thanksgiving. Well, it didn't feel like Thanksgiving at all- yet throughout the day I couldn't help but thinking of all I had in my life to be thankful for, and although I didn't have a traditional Thanksgiving- I managed to have a really good evening. I went to my first Czech play with all of my friends, and well the story of the show was rather self explanatory so it didn't matter that I was unable to understand the mass majority of the show- I was in the company of people I am thankful to have in my life- laughing and enjoying life. Afterwards we went to a pub and just sat around visiting. So there was no turkey, no mashed potatoes, no five cup salad or pumpkin pie- but it was Thanksgiving, and I was thankful and exactly where I was supposed to be.

And then came Friday night.
So Friday night I was supposed to meet Julie( the Canadian exchange student) in the square, but my bus had been late so I was running a few minutes late and I get a call from her. And she was slightly freaking out on the phone although I didn't know why and so I tell her that I'm on my way, that I'll hurry. When I get off my bus I half sprint/run/jog from the bus stop to the square- because Julie isn't one to freak out so I figured something must be wrong.

I get there and she is all shooken up- she had been waiting for me in the square when this man about mid fourty's approaches her and starts speaking in czech, and THANK GOD she can understand some czech and didn't just smile and nod, because the man asks her if she wants to have sex- and she tells him no, and then he asks her to go to get a bite to eat with him or to go get something to drink and she says no and she goes to walk away and he grabs her arm- and then tries to kiss her- at which point she like yanks herself away- but he manages to grab her hand and kiss it- then she ran away and called me.

So Julie was hungry so we went and got her something to eat and then went back to the square- AND CREEPY McCreepster was still there, but away from us- and there were people all around- and so we sat ourselves on a bench, and really I just wanted to go up to that man and deck him- but I didn't. But, just wait. I think what i did was better.

So we are sitting there and Mr. Creep approaches another girl and starts talking to her and I was like UMMMM I DONT THINK SO....not again. So Julie and I realize that we have the power to save her. So we walk up to the man and girl and I say to the girl Prosim (excuse me) but then I started speaking in English- because the man didnt speak english so I figured it would probably be best if he couldn't understand what I was saying. So I ask the girl to come with me- and she looks confused- but I think that was because her english was very poor- but she says okay and we walk away from creepy. So Julie and I try to explain to the girl about the man- but her english was bad, but at the end I think she understood that he was bad and that we had helped her- so she thanked us and then we left- because we figured CREEPY probably wasn't very happy with us.

But I was just glad we had saved the girl from that man. It was sort of strange because approaching him with that girl I wasn't afraid- If anything I was just sickened at what he was doing- and there were people all around so I knew that if he tried anything funny all I had to do was scream and everyone would turn and look.

And it was this situation that reaffirmed the fact that my mom knows how to raise children, as I'm not the type to sit back and let things happen when I'm perfectly capable of stopping them. In going and stopping him from preying upon that girl I wasn't gaining anything- I wasn't doing it for me. I could have stayed on that bench. But something in me- made me get up off that bench, march across that square- and remove the girl from the unpleasant situation- and I believe that "something" was instilled in me by my mom.

So I'm awfully thankful for that mom of mine, and I'm sure the girl would be thankful too- because it was through my mom instilling things in me- that I was able to act in that situation- to help her, so indirectly my mom helped her too. And you see this is how it all goes back to "We're All In This Together"
because even though my mom wasn't there- and she didn't stop the situation- it is because things I've learned from her that I was able to do so, Don't you see? we really are "All In This Together"


switching gears...I feel like an orphan. I'm living in a foreign country at seventeen without parents. I'm sure that sounds great, huh?
I miss someone asking where I've been and who I've been with- what I've been doing.
I miss someone asking about my day and what it consisted of- I miss advice, lectures, and being told that I've royally screwed up, that I'm in the wrong.
I ask for nothing. I'm given a shower, a bed, and food- beyond that I'm really on my own.
And when I ask for the smallest of favors it apparently is too much to ask. My mom sent me a package and it is supposed to arrive any day now, but when it arrives I have to pay custom fees on it. So I informed host mom about this and told her that I'd leave money on the counter the next morning before I went to school in case it showed up when I was at school.
I assumed this would be no problem- host mom doesn't work- she is home everyday, it wouldn't be a big deal for her to pay for my package right?
Wrong.
She came back with " I think it would be better if you go and pick it up at the post, when the post women comes I will just not take the package and so she will give me a slip and you can go and pick it up at the post."
she added that she doesn't like dealing with other people's money.
So because host mom is "uncomfortable" dealing with my money I will have to probably end up going to a post office- and as far as its location I have absolutely no idea- to ask for my package in a language that I don't speak...
simply because she can't pay for my package when it's delivered at the door.

Now don't worry being the optimist that I am, I've taken to looking at this as yet another learning experience- taking on foreign post,
but that doesn't mean that I'm not still annoyed- that the one small favor I ask, is just too much. I simply don't understand. Oh, well. Czech Post Office...HERE I COME.


The whole growing up process has been pushed forward it seems, and is being carried out at an abnormally rapid speed...strange how circumstance can do that.

circumstance it seems changes a lot of things.

alright off to go Czech homework that I've been putting off
as well as to put together a presentation about the political system in the U.S.- haha good thing I took AP U.S. History last year.

Hope that Thanksgiving was good for those of you celebrating back in America,
Christmas is coming and rather soon...brace yourself.

Mit Dobry Den
Cau

3 comments:

Crackle said...

hello my love! So I am really sorry that I am sometimes signed on, on aim and then dont answer...i forget to put up an away message, anywho I think that you should have my e-mail rutledge09@hotmail.com

so yeah...because I love and miss you! and I have thought a lot about how you didnt celebrate thanksgiving and I thought it was weird. But I am really happy that it turned out so well for you my dear!!! =]

Soulmate said...

Hey babe sounds like you havent changed, i miss you so much!

Soulmate said...

your such a goof, but i love how you act on impulse you make my day i miss you like no one has ever missed you i love you so much i cant wait to hear from you again